I know what you are thinking. What the ^&*$% is a moodling? I get that question a lot. Click here to learn the whole story.

January 20, 2015

Planner Update: My Erin Condren Life Planner Review

Erin Condren Life Planner

As promised, I am back with an update to my original planner post.  I was like a kid in a candy store when I received my new Erin Condren Life Planner.  I will share how I use each section, how I customize it and what products I use.  Plus you will get to see a big OPPPPS in the video.  That is totally worth reading the rest of the post. :)

Planner Addict
Because you just can't have too many planner process videos. :) I wanted to show you how I am altering my Erin Condren Life Planner and how I am using each section.  And finally, I will share what I think of my new planner.  Its pros and cons.

Epic Fail:  In the video I talk about how I use the notes section.  On one page I keep a list of our bills and when they are due.  I took the time to cover up the list of bills (that would be TMI).  But I neglected to remove the 'Pay HO' sticky note.  I totally didn't notice it until I edited the video.  'Pay HO' stands for Pay Home Owners or Home Owners Association.  LOL!  (I have no idea where the 'A' ended up, possibly in a pile of old die-cuts or buttons.) 




A Peek Inside
This is a look at my weekly set-up.  The planner is set up with block for Morning, Day and Evening.  I have changed those to: Urgent, Important and Forever.  I also eliminated some of the area for weekends so I have a place for blog/workshop information. 

Erin Condren Life Planner

Tips and Ideas
Things I have learned using the planner for a few weeks.
  • To me a new planner is kinda like moving into a new kitchen.  My husband is always in a hurry to get everything put away and he wants to know exactly where I want each item.  WTH!  I can't decide that until I use the space for a few weeks.  So we shove everything into drawers and cabinets and in a month I re-organize it.  My point (I do have one, I promise) is this, how I am using my planner right now will probably change as I get used to using it.
  • Limit your color choices if using multiple colors are distracting.  I had a hard time the 1st week with too much going on in the weekly view.  I had to tone it down a bit.
  • Make sure you block off time for those things that are important but NOT urgent.  These are the things we always say we will get to but never do.  You know....the big rocks.  If you don't schedule them the urgent will run your life.
  • Change what needs to be changed....don't feel like you need to use a planner as is. (I.E. I changed the labels for the blocks.  You can purchase different labels on Etsy or make your own using Avery Return Labels.)
  • Continue to adjust and make changes, if something does NOT work.....ELIMINATE IT! (Really....you paid for the planner don't be afraid to make it work for you.)
  • If you want to stamp in your planner, I found chalk ink to the best as it does not bleed through the paper.

Supplies, Supplies and More Supplies

Everyday Moodlings
Finally!  We get to talk about why we really buy a paper planner.....for the fun supplies we can use to alter our planners.  (Oh just admit it, that is why you have a paper planner.)

Etsy has a ton of sellers who offer stickers, post-it notes, washi tape and more for planners.

Current the only shop I can endorse is: Life Stickers.  She ships fast and the stickers are awesome.  They are super thin, so they do not add a lot of bulk to my planner.  If I find other stores I like, I will let you know. (Hmmmmm....planner post #3.)




Frixion Pens

Of course, we can't stop there.  I found tons of fun sticky-notes at Hobby Lobby.  Printable stickers from Avery at Amazon and Staples.

But my FAVORITE planner tool is my Frixion pens.  These things are AMAZING!  They are erasable pens that are actually worth the money.


Need help finding even more supplies?  Check out the links below.







Final Thoughts
I give the Erin Condren Life Planner a big thumbs up, an A+, 5 stars.  Do you get that I like it?  I have to share this with someone, cuz my husband thinks I am crazy. (For this and many, many, many other reasons.  But I am convinced I am the sane one and he is crazy.)

The process of ordering was simple and following its progress was fun.  It does take a couple of weeks to get your planner, which is plenty of time to collect other supplies. :)

Pros: 
  • Well made.  It feels very durable.
  • Well packaged.  You should not have to worry about it being damaged before it arrives.  Plus the box they use is super cool.
  • The size.  It is about the size of a composition notebook.
  • You can customize it, add photos to the cover or change up the colors. They now have removable covers so you an change them throughout the year.
  • Plenty of supplies available for altering your planner available at Etsy, Amazon, Hobby Lobby, office supply stores, dollar stores and more.
  • Plenty of add-ons to choose from on the Erin Condren website.
Cons:
  • Takes a long time to receive your planner.
  • I would love it if we could change up the blog titles instead of having to alter them.
  • It is spiral bound.  This is not a con for me, but it would be for some.

Taking the Next Step
Interested in learning more about planners or time management?  Well, we have a couple of workshops for you.  And the best part....we are giving away free seats right now.  Check it out.

Your Turn
Are you a planner junkie? Share your tips for making your planner work for you?  Or do you custom make your planner?

Thanks for stopping by,
Jeri'

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Your blog post caught my eye because I purchased an Erin Condren planner for 2015 too! Wasn't sure I could use the pages as they are so your blog post was timely! Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you are enjoying your new planner. I know I am. :) I'm glad the post was helpful for you.

      Delete